Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go to learn sign language or to find sign language classes in my area?

Opportunities to learn sign language in the home can be done via videos, web based sign language programs, and even apps on your tablet or smartphone. A few such resources include:

Described Captioned Media Program (DCMP): Free loan service for accessible media library. If you have a deaf child or deaf student, the DCMP can be a great resource.

Wisconsin Educational Services Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (WESP-DHH) Educational Resource Library is located at the Wisconsin School for the Deaf (WSD). Parents or staff working with deaf children can go online to the lending library’s site and pick out a title or two, then go to their local library and fill out a request to have the book, CD, DVD, etc. mailed to their local library. Your library will contact WSD and have them send it to your library. When you are done, you take it to your library and they will send it back to WSD.

Technical colleges: The technical college in your area may provide inexpensive basic sign language classes. Check your county’s technical college website.

Also recommended is to contact your region’s Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH). This is a state organization. The regional coordinators assigned generally have listings of the sign language learning opportunities in their region.

Where can I go to get an interpreter for a wedding or a funeral?

Visit the Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) website for a listing of interpreters and interpreter agencies.

Is the school required to provide an interpreter for an extracurricular activity?

Learn more about the roles and responsibilities of Educational Interpreters from the DPI Information Update Bulletin 13.03: “The Role of Educational Interpreters for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.”

How do I find out about teaching jobs in the DHH field in Wisconsin?

For a listing of jobs within Wisconsin Public School Districts, visit our Statewide Deaf Education Vacancies page, go to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) website, or visit the Wisconsin Education Career Access Network (WECAN) website.

Professionals may also join the WI Deaf Ed. Professionals Canvas community which has openings that schools send to us directly. The Community also provides a forum for professionals to network and share resources and ideas. Any Wisconsin professional who is working with a student who is deaf, hard of hearing, or deafblind may join this community.