National Resources

National Deaf Center (NDC)
The national grant for postsecondary outcomes. It is housed in Texas and is completely web-based.

Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center – Transition Resources
The Clerc Center is housed at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. They have developed a list of useful transition resources that include students from Kindergarten through 12th grade.

Hands & Voices – Transition
This national organization has a variety of articles and helpful information related to Transition topics. partners with to provide students with direct connections to schools and programs suiting their educational goals. Their team of college planning experts have curated valuable resources in the College Guide for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students, which includes:

  • An in depth look at a student’s transition into college.
  • A guide to college accommodations & assistive technology.
  • Key strategies, resources, scholarships & more for deaf and hard of hearing students.

Fact: Around 20,000 deaf and hard of hearing students attend post-secondary educational institutions each year.

Wisconsin Statewide Resources

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) is part of Wisconsin’s Department of Workforce Development (DWD). DVR assists DHH clients in finding and securing steady work both full and part time. It also may include financial assistance in the educational prerequisites for a particular career.

Independent Living Centers in Wisconsin
Independent living centers (ILCs) provide assistance to people with all kinds of disabilities. These agencies were created to promote independence and self-determination for individuals, as well as to offer support and information to families and communities. Services provided by ILCs include: peer support, information and referral, independent living skills training, coordination of personal care and other services, advocacy and community education.

ODHH is the Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. The webpage offers a multitude of information and includes a downloadable booklet for employers on working with a DHH employees and a listing of interpreters.

Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU)
All 24 WAICU-member colleges and universities are accredited by agencies recognized by the United States Department of Education.

Wisconsin School for the Deaf (WSD)
WSD is located in Delavan, WI and serves students ages 3-21. WSD offers summer camps for DHH students from all over Wisconsin. Check their website or call (262) 728-2066 for dates and schedules. They also have a transition-specific web page.

Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS)
The WTCS has 16 colleges with 49 campuses and additional outreach locations to serve every community both large and small, city or rural.

Wisconsin Transition Improvement Grant (TIG)
Wisconsin Transition Improvement Grant (formerly known as WSTI or Wisconsin Statewide Transition Initiative) is the Department of Public Instruction sponsored team of professionals serving students across the state. Their website includes a calendar of transition trainings, individual county events, an annual youth conference, parent trainings, as well as an annual conference in October called the Transition Academy. The Transition Academy is held in the Wisconsin Dells at the Wilderness Resort. They also organize an annual ‘Retreat’ meeting for those county teams to gather together and learn from each other and share ideas of what has been successful. Sign up for the newsletter to stay current on transition events in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Transition Conference
Held in February each year, this conference brings in national speakers and has many sessions in a variety of transition topics. This conference is sponsored by CESA 11 and is held at the Kalahari Resort in the Wisconsin Dells.

Wisconsin Deafblind Technical Assistance Program
This grant-sponsored program is a resource for families with a child who is deafblind, and professionals who work with them. WDBTAP offers camps for deafblind children that are held at Wisconsin Lions Camp. Check their website or call (262) 356-0091 for more information.

Wisconsin Lions Camp
Wisconsin Lions Camp offers camps for DHH students and young adults. Check their website or call (715) 677-4761 for dates and schedules.

Great Lakes ADA Center
Great Lakes ADA Center has a webpage of information and contact information, including a resource list for Legal Assistance.

College and Transition Videos

Blackhawk Technical College

Center for Deaf Blind Persons

Chippewa Valley Technical College

Deaf Unity

Department of Workforce Development

Disability Rights Wisconsin

Gallaudet University

Gateway Technical College

Goodwill Great Lakes

H.E.A.R. Wisconsin

Madison Area Technical College

Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Society’s Assets

Sorenson Video Relay Service

Southwest Collegiate Institute for the Deaf (SWCID)

Transition Improvement Grant


Western Technical College